advertise

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Income Tax > Tax planning >

HRA EXEMPTION AND INTEREST ON HOUSING LOAN

Pages : 1

CA

[ Scorecard : 26]
Posted On 27 July 2009 at 13:58 Report Abuse

Dear Professional Coleagues i have a query that is

one of my client is having salary income and getting HRA from the employer.he is living in bangalore but he is having his own house at Cochin.

Cochin house is constructed with borrowed funds and he is claiming self occupied status and loss on house property also.

my question is:   1. whether he can claim self occupied house property loss and set off it from salary income.

2. if he does as in (1) above, then whether he can produce Rent receipt and get hra exemption.

3. since he is living in a place other than the place where his own house property is situated, can he claim both i.e can rent receipt and get hra exempted and also claim loss from house property showing cochin property as self occupied?

Total thanks : 1 times

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Aditya Maheshwari
CA in Practice

[ Scorecard : 34675]
Posted On 28 July 2009 at 15:20

Yes, your client claim both (HRA & interest on hsg loan) provided the rented accommodation is reasonably away from the clients house property. And the rented accommodation is occupied due to employment.

Now in your case
1. rented accommodation is occupied due to employment purpose, then you can claim the HRA
2. House property should be reasonably away from rented accommodation. Now reasonably away means there should be atleast 50 KM distance or located in the different municipal limits.

Hence as per above he can claim both HRA and interest on housing loan.

SathikondaA
Tax Consultant

[ Scorecard : 1281]
Posted On 28 July 2009 at 20:34

Mr.Aditya Maheswari

Please let me know is there in circular issued by CBDT clarifying the distance at 50 KM. I would like to bring to the notice of all the professional people a pecular fact.

Yanam is a municipality situated in the Union Territory of Pondichery

and

Neelapalli is a village in the state of Andhra Pradesh

the distance between these two places is less than a half KM.

There is a bridge in between these two places.  The approximate time that may take to reach from one place to the other place is less than 10 minutes.

In the above situation can an assessee as explained in the querry claim both the deductions?

Best Wishes

Sathikonda

There are 2 Replies to this message

Related Files