How to improve your English Communication Skills

Sameer (.) (252 Points)

04 March 2014  

I personally feel that CAs/CWAs/CSs  are more knowledgeable as compared to IIMs, but often they not able to capitalise their knowledge  due to lack of effective communication skills.  

I have seen many people having very good knowledge but they are not able to express themselves while communicating with others. (specially during interviews)

Lack of good communication skills reduces our marketability / saleability. 

(I hope you will agree)

We accept it or not, English is an International language and without having good command over English we can't move forward into our professional journey.

Here are some tips to improve English communication skills.

1. Make it a habit of reading English newspaper of your choice on daily basis. (preferably “Times of India, Hindustan Times, The Hindu, Indian Express etc.   Specially read articles.

2. And while reading circle out words which are new to you and cross check their meaning and usage from “Dictionary”, it will help you in learning correct pronunciation.

3. Read books / magazines in English and apply the above.  Learn at least 2 words on daily basis and their usage in day to day life.

4. Watch English News channels on daily basis for at least ½ hour observe the mouth movements of the news reader / anchor and repeat what they are saying, while imitating the intonation and rhythm of their speech. 

5. Prepare a list of words that are frequently used in conversation and which you find difficult to pronounce, ask someone who speaks well to pronounce these words for you.  Learn these words from your heart and apply the same in your conversations. 

6. Pay special attention to 'S' and 'ED' endings. This will help you strengthen the mouth muscles  that you use when you speak English.

7.  Wherever you go always try to speak in English be they are your friends, your teachers, your
bosses, your colleagues  or any other person, initially some of them may make fun of you but don’t get demoralised.  Make a pledge with yourself that no matter come what may, criticisms will not let you down, learn from your mistakes and correct the same and improve.            

8. Initially I would suggest speak slowly until you get a good command over the language.

9. Sit in front of mirror and try to communicate with yourself, record the same and listen, focus more in the areas where you are lacking.

10. By applying these tips, you will find that gradually your speaking skills are improving, and by practicing above sooner you will have good command over the English language.  The very people who use to make fun of you will get surprised the way you speak.