How to cope up with Exam Failure !!!

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)

05 August 2010  

Dear Friends,

Again the season of CA results has come…some students succeed and some are instructed to work hard again for next attempt. Through this write up I would like to make you understand the importance of a relevant and one of my favourite saying “Failure improves the taste the victory”.

No doubt all the students who have succeed in this May 2010 attempt deserves a thumb up so I’d like to congratulate them for registering a success in CA Examinations by putting such enormous effort.

All I want to convey is that there is no need to give up. Remember packing it all in at this stage is surely the easy way out and it'll stop you feeling stressed, but kya tumna kabhi socha hai--how you'll feel on the other side of the exams. To avoid this situation and future regret I would suggest you to give another shot with full confidence, focused preparation and correct guidance. Even if you don't get the marks you want, but kindly appreciate taking exams keeps your options open.

Remember Success or Failure is a different thing altogether. Even if you did not do well in exam and got failed, there is really no need to panic now. Obviously it feels terrible but let it be. Failing exams does not make you a failure in life and most importantly it is not the end of world.

You are requested to please take note of some of simple points mentioned below to cope up with exam failure:

1.       Do not get depressed quickly

As per my observation don’t get depressed to get the negative result as this may lead to some unwanted action from your side. Kindly observe sometimes the margin is very small like you may miss the success by 5-7 marks in aggregate. This gap is not difficult to fill in the next attempt as our ultimate aim is to clear the group.

2.       Figure out the reason for negative result

Try and figure out the reason for negative result. There may some lack in the revision strategy or preparation. Just find out the exact problem and promise yourself to remove the same.

3.       Maintain your self-cinfidence

Believe me no problem can be bigger than lack of self confidence. So just maintain the same. Remember there are lots of students facing the exact situation like negative result so there is no need to exaggerate the things. Just relax and think what went wrong. Just one failure and start getting frustrated is not what CA is all about!!!

4.      Maintain positive realistic approach

I fully understand that under pressure, everyone has moments when they feel unable to cope, but sticking to a realistic positive approach will keep your confidence afloat. In this situation self assessment is the best thing to do and believe me only you can help yourself by searching out the best possible solution to your problem.

5.       Realistic Revision Plan

As per my experience one of the main reasons of exam failure is a complete failure of revision strategy. So I urge you to prepare and follow or stick to a realistic revision plan as this will again keep your confidence afloat. If you're charting your progress in this way, you're less likely to get intimidated by the workload and end up throwing your hands in the air.

Prepare a revision plan and keep updating the same keeping in view the level of your exam preparation.

6.      Take the help of your teacher or friend

After the negative result discuss the things with your teachers or friends and figure out the reasons of failure. This positive discussion will surely help you out to get over the negativity around you. You are requested to consider this point important as this point help you to get out of such moments of frustration and prevent you to take a disastrous decision.

7.       Search all possible solutions to succeed

Try and search all possible solutions and help available to succeed in Examinations. Analyse your study methods with the help of your tutor or friend and be ready to change your study style, if required. However drastic changes to study pattern are not advised.

8.      Some of my personal suggestions to perform well

Some of my personal observations as far as good preparation is concerned are as follows:

i.) Focus on conceptual study and clarity.

ii.) Base your study on Scanner along with suggested answers issued by ICAI

iii.) Discuss the topics with your friends for more clarity.

iv.) Keep working on your writing and presentation skills

v.)Do not get confuse between self study or coaching. Decide quickly.

Some of my previous suggestions regarding exam failure are as follows:

9.      Do not blame yourself for the failure

In case of exam failure there is no need to blame yourself or your institute or anyone else. It is perfectly all right. Kindly appreciate you are not the only student who got negative result. It happens in professional exams. So nothing to worry about and just move ahead and move with the flow and believe me things will be all right soon.

1o.     Suicide is not the solution

Suicide is not the solution of anybody’s problems. All the problems in this world are of temporary nature with permanent solution. On the contrary I would advise you to love your problems as you can learn a lot from your problems and in fact they are in your life to teach you something really indispensable. I personally feel that suicide is a selfish act, the victims of which are your family, parents and friends who cares for you. The pain of losing someone close can be devastating and reason or circumstances under which you lose that someone doesn’t make any difference. Before committing suicide one must think that there is hope and there is answer to every problem and failure of life. A foolish step can adversely change the life of those around you. Please think about it. I would urge you to be a bit strong in life and stay away from any kind of suicidal tendencies and thoughts.

Hope I’m able to bring something constructive through this brief write up. In the end I would like to submit that have faith in your abilities and blessings of your parents. You are humbly requested to please share your kind response on the above mentioned suggestions/points.

With Warm Regards,

Ankur Garg

https://www.caclubindia.ankurgarg.com