Getting relevant experience for cpa license in india

Priyanka N (.) (36 Points)

22 December 2014  

Hi Friends,

I am a Indian CA looking forward for doing US CPA from India. Have nailed down Edupristine for the same. As we all know there are two parts of CPA 1) The certification exam 2) Getting license to practise.

Now if I browse through state wise license requirements I see the candidate needs to work under US CPA for 1 year (some states need 2 years also) in public accounting. When I clarified this with the career advisor in Edupristine they said that the relevant experience can be done from India too. Here is the logic she gave - Big4s have US based projects and most of the work is outsourced to India. Also the Indian partners are mostly US Licensed CPAs too. So that way the requirements of relevant experience for license is met (working in US based environment under US CPA). They also help in placing candidates in such projects in Big4s so that candidates can after working for a year apply for license.

All of this sounded good (but I fear it can also be a marketing gimamck)!!

Requesting experienced CPAs to please help me out with the info whether the above arrangement works as a valid experience requirement for license or not? I am interested in getting the license too.

Also if someone can throw light on if a person doesnt do CPA licensure will he/she be able to get a corporate job in USA just on the basis of passing the CPA exam (like non-practising CAs can work in corporates in India)??

Thanks!