General knowledge and vocabulary -1

CA Gyati Gupta (In Practice) (8227 Points)

08 January 2014  

Hello friends !

As I promised that I will try to post some knowledge booster posts, so here I come with this one.

(A.) GENERAL KNOWLEDGE: (FACTS ABOUT INDIA)

1. India’s National Calender is based on Saka Era. In which Chaitra is the 1st month that falls on March 22 in a normal year & on March 21 in a leap year and Phalguna is the last month.

2. Satyameva Jayate has been taken from Mundaka Upnishad. It means “Truth alone Triumphs”

3. Vande Matram composed by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee. This shares an equal status with Jana Gana Mana. It is taken from the novel Anand Math .

4.  Samdhis of Freedom Fighters:

•      Mahatama Gandhi: Rajghat
  •      Lal Bahadur Shastri : Vijayghat
  •      Rajiv Gandhi: Vir Bhumi
  •      Jawahar Lal Nehru: Shantivan

5. What is the difference between a State Governor and a Chief Minister?

•  A Governor is a symbolic head of the state, appointed by the President of India whereas a C.M. is the real head of the state, and happens to be chosen by majority party in the Legislative Assembly of the state
  • The Governor acts more like an agent of the Central Government in the state and remains in office till the pleasure of President or 5years, whereas a C.M. remains in office till h/she enjoys confidence of the State Legislatures or 5 years.
  • The Governor has the power to dismiss the C.M. or Council of Ministers , only when the Legislative Assembly has expressed his opinion by direct vote of NO confidence or censure or by defeating an important measure, and the Governor does not think fit to dissolve the Assembly.

(B) WORD MEANING (POLITICAL TERMS)

1. MARTIAL LAW :it is an administration of a certain area passing into the hands of military authorities supersiding all Civil Laws.
  2. OMBUDSMAN: A vigilance officer who hears citizens complaints against the Govt.
  3. PLEBISCITE : Direct vote of electors on a political issue of importance.
  4. VETO : the right to reject.
  5. SNAP VOTE : a vote taken unexpectedly without voters having been briefed in advance.
  6. BOURSE :  a country’s region’s Bourse is its Stock Exchange.

(C) ENGLISH WORD- MEANINGS (VOCABULARY )

• Augment : to make it large, strong or add something.

Eg : while searching for a way to augment the family income, she began making dolls.

• Backroom boy : you can refer to a man as a backroom boy when he does important work in an organization and has good ideas but is not seen or known about by the public.
  • Cachet : if someone or something has a certain cachet, they have a quality which makes people admire them or approve of them.

Eg: A Mercedes carries a certain cachet.

• Dead-beat : if you are dead-beat , you are very tired and have no energy left.
  • Eavesdrop : if you eavesdrop on someone , you listen secretly to what they’re saying.

Eg : The Govt. illegally eavesdropped on his telephone conversations.

• Furlough : if workers are given furlough, they are told to stay away from work for a  certain period because there is not enough for them to do.
  • Graffiti : is words or pictures that are written  or drawn in public places, for example, on walls or on posters.

I would like to know your feedbacks regarding this post. If you liked it, then I will continue to share such titbits of information in the coming days. I will make all the possible efforts to cover the current information from business and global sectors too.