To transact business on ACES a user has to first register himself/herself with ACES through a process called ‘Registration with ACES’. This registration is not a statutory registration as envisaged in Acts/Rules governing Central Excise and Service Tax but helps the application in recognizing the bonafide users. Described below are steps for taking registration by a new assessee, existing assessee, non-assessee and a Large Tax Payer Unit (LTU).
(a) New Assessee
1. The user needs to log onto the system, through internet at http://www.aces.gov.in
2. He/she chooses the Central Excise/Service Tax button from the panel appearing on the left of the webpage.
3. Clicks the button “New Users Click here to Register with ACES” in the Log-in screen that appears after clicking Central Excise/Service Tax button.
4. Fills in and submits the form “Registration with ACES”, by furnishing a self-chosen user ID and e-mail ID. User ID, once chosen is final and cannot be changed by the assessee in future.
5. The system will check for availability of the chosen User ID and then generate a password and send it by e-mail, mentioned by him/her in the Form.
6. ACES provides assistance of ‘Know your location code’ for choosing correct jurisdictional office.
7. The user then re-logs-in and proceeds with the statutory registration with Central Excise/Service Tax, by filling-in the appropriate Form namely A-1, A-2 or ST-1 etc. by clicking the “Reg” link in the Menu bar that appears on the top of the screen. For security reasons, the password should be changed immediately.
8. The system instantaneously generates an acknowledgement number after which the registration request goes to the jurisdictional Assistant or Deputy Commissioner (AC/DC). Depending on the instructions in force, assessees may be required to submit certain documents to the department for verification. After due processing, the AC/DC, in case of Central Excise and Superintendent /Commissioner (for centralized registration only), in case of Service Tax, generates Registration Certificate (RC) and a message to this effect is sent to the assessees electronically. The assessee can view this and take a print-out of this.
9. Depending on the option chosen by the assessee, the signed copy of the RC can be sent by post or can be collected by assessee in person.
10. While submitting registration form, if the assessee makes a mistake in choosing a wrong jurisdiction (Commissionerate/Division/ Range), ACES provides a facility to the AC/DC to forward the application to the correct jurisdictional officer to issue registration and a message to this effect is sent to the assessee for information.
11. The registration number will be same as the current 15-digit format with minor change such as
For-PAN based Assessees
1-10 digits – PAN of the Assessee
11-12 digits–EM (Excise Manufacturer), ED (Excise Dealer), SD (Service Tax)
13-15–Systems generated alphanumeric serial number
For non-PAN based assessees
1-4 digits TEMP
5-10 Systems generated alpha numeric number
11-12 EM (Excise Manufacturer) or ED (Excise Dealer), SD (Service Tax)
13-15–Systems generated alphanumeric serial number
(b) Existing Assessee
The existing assessees will not have to take fresh registrations. They will have to only register with the ACES application. This can be done in the following manner :
·ACES application will automatically send mails to the e-mail IDs of the assessee, as available in the existing registration data base, indicating a TPIN number, and password. The mail will contain a hyperlink to the website.
· Assessee clicks on the hyperlink and is taken to ACES application
· Assessee submits the form after filling the requisite information including the password provided in the e-mail, a new User ID and new password. User ID, once chosen is final and cannot be changed by the assessee in future.
· On successful registration with ACES, the assessee can transact business through ACES.
Existing assessees should note that they should register with ACES by following the procedure at (1) above and they should not register with ACES through the direct method, meant for new assessees, as discussed under (a) above. They should also not fill-in registration forms again as it will lead to allotment of new registration numbers by the system.
Assessees should ensure that their contact details in the department’s registration data base are updated to include their valid and current e-mail ids, otherwise they will not receive any such mail. Those assessees who have not yet furnished their email IDs to the department or even after furnishing the ID have not received the TPIN mail from ACES are advised to contact the jurisdictional Range Officers or LTU Client Executives and furnish their email IDs in writing. The officer will thereafter incorporate the email ID in the ACES registration database of the assessee and arrange to send the TPIN mail to the assessee’s email ID.
This category of registration is given in ACES to any individual, firm or company which requires to transact with the Central Excise or Service Tax Department, though not an assessee such as (a) merchant exporter, (b) co-noticee, (c) refund applicant, (d) persons who have failed to obtain CE/ST registration as required under the law and against whom the Department has initiated proceedings and (e) persons who are required to tender any payment under CE/ST Act /Rules. The Non-assessees are not required to file any tax returns.
Where such persons desire to seek non-assessee registration they follow same steps as in case of new assessee except that while choosing the registration form in step (vii) they have to choose and fill in the Non-assessee form.
In case the assessee is taking such registration for claiming any refund or rebate it is mandatory to furnish his/her valid PAN.
A Non-assessee registration can also be done by the designated officer of the Commissionerate, on behalf of the non-assessee.
(d) Large Tax Payer Unit (LTU) Assessee/Client
The consent form will have to be submitted manually by the New LTU assessees to the jurisdictional LTU office which will be processed off line
The approved consent form will be uploaded by the competent officer of the Group LTU (GLTU) into ACES
Any new unit of an existing LTU, which applies for registration with ACES will be automatically attached with the LTU Commissionerate based upon PAN details in the registration form
As soon as the new or existing unit is attached with the LTU Commissionerate, a suitable intimation will be automatically sent by the ACES to the existing jurisdictional Commissionerate and the pending items of work will be transferred to the LTU Commissionerate
For existing LTU assessees, the process of registration is same as explained in Sub Para (b) above.
i. The user ID once selected will be permanent and cannot be changed. However, it is desirable to frequently change passwords
ii. The User ID should be of 6-12 alphanumeric characters, no special character such as ! @ #$%*&( )+ or spaces except underscore ‘-‘ shall be allowed.
iii. New assessee seeking registrations in Central Excise and Service Tax will also submit to the jurisdictional Range officer, a printout of the application form submitted online duly signed by the authorized signatory along with required documents.
iv. Assessees should note that the e-mail ID is furnished to the department in writing, and they will be responsible for all communications to and from this email ID. Currently, ACES provides for communication to one email ID only. After registration with the ACES, assessees, on their own, can modify their registration details online, including their e-mail ID.
v. In the interest of security and data protection, assessees are advised to change their passwords regularly and not to share it with unauthorized persons. In case of any dispute, the person whose user ID and Password has been used to access the application will be held liable for the action and any other consequences.