Dreams and sleep, solutions, creativity and innovations

CA Rajesh Pabari (Chartered Accountant) (1975 Points)

18 April 2014  
Dreams and sleep, solutions and creativity. A small contribution to the society from RP. Dreams are in many ways connected to solutions. Brain does not stop when we sleep. It works throughout the sleeping hours. What we give it for processing while we sleep is upto us. Lets discuss how to Make best use of our sleep. We have examples which shows us that scientists have found solutions to their problems in sleep. I mean in their dreams. And as far as i have experienced, sleep is giving me answers to my life's problems. Sometimes i see some innovative products in my sleep (like, today i seen a dvd player which can play an English dvd of lecture or something into your own languages.) What came in my dream is not important but the lesson which we can learn from above is of course important at some level. And the lesson is that Sleep and dreams can act as sources of innovative solutions to your problems. Supposing you are working on creation of a product, let's say you are an engineer and want to invent a car which runs on compressed air. (i don't know whether such innovation is happening but am just giving an example from my side). Now, you are working on the project for last many months without taking proper sleep thinking that working hard will serve your best purpose. But working hard does not mean you will be successful. Working smart will of course ensure you success. Now, what you need to do is simple, take proper rest and proper sleep. There is no better investment of time than sleep. You will someday wake up suddenly from your sleep and will shout out with the word "EUREKA". I have personal experience and this has been happening with me for last many years. Though the problems were very small but the principle can be applied even to tougher problems of the world. What i have observed and learned from neuroscience researches is that sleep is incredibly important for creative work, innovations and for brain heavy workers like professionals, chartered accountants, managers and many other such categories. Not to mention that its important for everyone of us. The more brain heavy work you look after, the more there is requirement of enough sleep. Enough sleep varies from 7 hours to 9 hours depending on your tiredness and brain heavy usage. Because we all need sleep but in different proportion, how we will come to know that we had enough sleep. Simple, it's natural science and nature is best indicator. You will naturally wake up from your sleep when you will have just enough of it. You don't need an alarm to tell you when you should wake up. Your brain and body is a million times smarter than the best machines ever invented in this world. Advice to organisations, don't allow your employees to work late and late in such a way that they compromise their sleep. Its not at all good for your business. Advise to parents, allow your kids to have enough sleep. The younger the person, the more sleep they need. Even your teenage kid requires 9 hours of sleep. So parents of teenagers, please take care. -RP.