Easy Office

CA or CWA which one is better.

Page no : 3

AJAY SIMHA (CMA - final) (190 Points)
Replied 13 October 2010

dont do CA as u r woking cwa would be better

if u take up CA u will have to quit ur job and work for peanuts (i.e., 2000 - 3000 pm) for doing articles for 3 years

if u r willing for that take up CA otherwise CWA

reg

CWA-inter

(Guest)

@ Ravi,

If you take suggestions like this in forum like CA Club India u will definitely get confused. At this stage of life I don't think u can go ahead only on the basis of suggestions given by CA Club India members. Here all tried to give you the best suggestions but final decision will be yours considering your present situation.

In my opinion both the courses are good. CA is more popular than CWA but this also has good scope.

I am doing both CA & CWA and currently working also in one of the major MNCs.

Its really very tough to do 2 courses at a time and with job. If you want to leave the job, I would suggest u to join both. becoz subjects are almost same in both the courses. If you want to continue with ur job then its better to join CWA because in CA article ship training is compulsory. With some experience CWA is also equally valuable.

Some members have mentioned here that it is easier to pass CWA than CA. But you should see the job scope and market demand and I don't think the value of CWA is that bad.

for your reference u can search the job sites like naukri, monster etc to find out the current market trend of companies recruiting CAs and CWAs.

Aditya (Pursuing CA CWA) (33 Points)
Replied 23 October 2010

Dear Ravi, Even I am an MBA in Finance, working in a stock broking firm and I am new to this club. I have also posted my query very recently which you can refer to. Well I have decided on pursuing CA & CS simultaneously. And I just wanted to see how the members of this club react to this decision of mine. See today I am 25 years old and in no ways I am going to complete CA befor I am 31. That includes 3 years articleship which I am willing to do. See Ravi what I have realized is that there is no shortcut to success. MBA to me is one such way. People consider their college as a placement agency and that is the sole parameter by which we decide on the college. I myself used to think like this. And I realized this mistake when I passed out of College with a not so decent job. MBA will not give in depth knowledge in any particular subject. It is a 2year course which gives an overview of everything stating from Economics, Finance, Statistics and so on. Barring the IIMs and maybe a couple of other colleges no student of MBA can match upto the skill sets of a CA. And to be good in Finance you have to be well conversant with the accounting aspects also. As you climb up the corporate ladder one thing you will see is that there is a clear demarcation between the knowledgeable and the not so knowledgeable people though they both started off simultaneously. Getting a plum job out of placement without possessing the requisite knowledge set might help you in the short run but you will lose out in the long run. Well I am truly interested in the subject and have studied more than what I have studied in my college days and to enhance or deepen my knowledge of the subject I have decided on CA. I have to leave my job for articleship but I am ready to sacrifice three years of my life now for the rest 40 odd years. It is just a start and I will be giving my CPT this December. In CWA you might be getting exemption and all but try thinking logically that why ICAI has made articleship mandatory. It is of help to the students as when you give your finals you have three years of experience in the field. And if your aim is to just increase the number of Degrees then you can go for CWA, CS, CFA, CIMA in which you are not needed to quit your job before the finals. And there is no substitute for knowledge as in today’s scenario MBAs and Engineers are in plenty where passing out is easy but sustaining would be difficult. CA will give you that edge my friend and that’s why they are in demand and will remain so unlike MBAs and Engineers barring those from top notch colleges like IIMs or IITs. So relax go for it not for the sake of the designation but think the amount of knowledge and expertise you will gain after completing it. Sacrifice your today for a better tomorrow. As in 3 idiots Ranchod Das Chhachad has wisely said “ Kabil bano, Kamiyabi ke peeche mat bhago.”

seeker (JUNIOR OFFICER) (227 Points)
Replied 23 October 2010

A general reply of this question fitting to every body can not be given.

C.A is any day better than ICWAI, But CA has one handicap that is of Article ship this make working people  helpless to enter this course.

Some people have fiancial security, some are married or to be married. And there are many other compelling  factors at this age of life.

If one is working in Finance and want to enhance qualification he should go for ICWAI  unless desire is not very intense for CA

Other wise if some body want to start again from start line, he should only see CA It is most powerfull finance field course with multiple Carrer openings.

It give platform even to people who are not from metro or convent backgraound or having poor authority on language of british or having low confidence and poor communication.

C.A is only course which looks for knowledge of person at the same time ignore his Personality, 10+2 marks, Graduation stream, Post Graduate College Name etc, Here knowledge is God.

So my dear every body should ask himself only whether they want to board this train which does not assure you that it will take you to your destination of dreams.

If you made it there then you can wipe out all past failure.

If you could not make it then your pain will not intesify

Any way it is individual’s Decision, To conclude “ If one is working in good organization & is from finance field he should do ICWAI Becouse ICWAI does not give you a launching pad but it can certainly boost your carrer  if you are on 3-4 stage of your carrer journey. it can give you a entry pass into management room and entry passes are only given to V.I.P's ( Experienced in our case )

But if you want a entry ticket an launching pad and looking for kick start booster then this initial phase launching can only be done through C.A”.

One more thing if you do your article ship honestly may be you could not reach your final destination  but at least you learn to travel, navigate in life 

You will never be without vehicle and always be employed and you could always reach your destination there is no limit on attempts.

Great course , unique , exceptional, Demanding the true character to succeed.

1 Like

CA.CWA.Venkatesh Repala (CA CWA;(CS PROFESSIONAL))   (1231 Points)
Replied 23 October 2010

Only thing to say is ......

If u can leave ur job, CA is advised, if u won't join CWA.

Both were earning same salary at initial stage.

but after 2 or 3 yrs of experience CA's will gain better opuurtunities.

another thing is if u prefer CA, with out any thought do simultaneously CWA, it is very easy for you.

ALL THE BEST.

Prasad (GENERAL. MANAGER-FINANCE)   (108 Points)
Replied 24 October 2010

Ravi,

There is no difference between CA and ICWA. Course content in both the courses are same and equally tough to pass out.

Both these courses can be a good career launching pad for your career. Remember CA qualification is more hyped qualification than they actually  deliver . This I am telling you with my 20 years experience in corporate.

No Organization will go by your qualification but will go by your value add and knowledge. You have to deliver yourself to the utmost satisfaction of the Organization to come up no matter you are a CA or ICWA or CS.

I am listing out the name of the people  who are at helm with  ICWA qualification -

Mrs. Chanda Kochhar- CEO of ICICI Bank

Mr. Surjit Singh- CFO of Patni Computers. Also he is an authority in Merger & Acquisition.

Mr. D. Sundaram- Director Finance- Hindusthan Unilever Limited.

Mr. R S Sharma- Chairman and MD- ONGC

Mr. H M Bharuka- MD- Goodlass Nerolac Paints Ltd

Mr. Alok Ghosh- CFO-SYSTIME.

Krupa Venkatesh- Head-Indirect Taxation- Deloitte

Mr. Anil Kumar Sardana- MD- Tata Teleservices Limited

Mr. Shyam Bhartiya- CMD- Jubilant Organosys.

Dr. M P Agarwal- Chairman & MD- Shri Lakhshmi Cotsyn Ltd.

Mr.Kewal Handa- MD-Pfizer Limited.

Mr. Anand Karwa-CFO-Opus Software Solutions

Mr. Suresh Ramachandra- CFO- Perot System

Mr. D.K. Saraf- Director Finance- ONGC

All the above names are are just a glimps. So many people are there who are at the top of any corporate with ICWA qualifications.

The writer of this mail is working as GM Finance with one of the IT bellweather.

So, I told you ICWA qualification is no way inferior to CA. Now, decision is yours whether to go ahead with CA or ICWA.

1 Like

Pranjal (Student CA IPC / IPCC) (531 Points)
Replied 24 October 2010

I beg to differ with Mr Prasad that CA is a hyped qualification although he is a professional with an experience of 20 years under his belt.I personally know two persons who couldn't qualify even the intermediate stage of CA but went on to become cost accountants.I'm not saying ICWA is easy compared to CA so they got qualified but CA demands expert knowledge both on costing disciplines as well as company law which ultimately gave birth to ICWAI & ICSI.ICWA & CS deals with specific fields namely costing & company law while CA is much broader in content.As such launch pad for a newly qualified CA will naturally be enviable to an ICWA or a CS.

Replied 24 October 2010

Mr. Pranjal,

I am CA and ICWA both and I felt it much harder to pass ICWA than CA. I cleared CA in first attempt but took four attempts to pass ICWA.

If CA institute thinks that they are superior then what is the problem of the CA institute to change the nomenclature of ICWA insitute from ICWA to ICMA. This corroborates the monopolistic attitude of CA institute.

It is your wrong notion that CA is much broder in content. This is on par with ICWA and CS if not less.

And lanunch pad for ICWA and CS freshers are equally good to that of CA.  

Please do not undermine the capability of the professionals from other institute. Yes CA s are enjoying more statutory powers than other two sister institutes but that does not necessarily mean that ICWAs and CS are inferior.  

You have mentioned about two persons who did easily crack ICWA. But I can give you more expample that people failed ICWA  but easily cleared CA final.

However, we should not convert this platform to debate on this. Let us help Ravi in choosing his right career.

All the best

Replied 24 October 2010

Hi Ravi-

Please see the attachment which is the synopsis of the syllabus between CA & ICWA. Read this carefully and take your own decision. Please do not get carried away by any wrong notion.

Thanks

Attached File : 18 syllabus of ca icwa.xls downloaded: 199 times

Suman Kumar Verma (Practicing CMA) (1300 Points)
Replied 24 October 2010

Originally posted by : Prasad

Ravi,

There is no difference between CA and ICWA. Course content in both the courses are same and equally tough to pass out.

Both these courses can be a good career launching pad for your career. Remember CA qualification is more hyped qualification than they actually  deliver . This I am telling you with my 20 years experience in corporate.

No Organization will go by your qualification but will go by your value add and knowledge. You have to deliver yourself to the utmost satisfaction of the Organization to come up no matter you are a CA or ICWA or CS.

I am listing out the name of the people  who are at helm with  ICWA qualification -

Mrs. Chanda Kochhar- CEO of ICICI Bank

Mr. Surjit Singh- CFO of Patni Computers. Also he is an authority in Merger & Acquisition.

Mr. D. Sundaram- Director Finance- Hindusthan Unilever Limited.

Mr. R S Sharma- Chairman and MD- ONGC

Mr. H M Bharuka- MD- Goodlass Nerolac Paints Ltd

Mr. Alok Ghosh- CFO-SYSTIME.

Krupa Venkatesh- Head-Indirect Taxation- Deloitte

Mr. Anil Kumar Sardana- MD- Tata Teleservices Limited

Mr. Shyam Bhartiya- CMD- Jubilant Organosys.

Dr. M P Agarwal- Chairman & MD- Shri Lakhshmi Cotsyn Ltd.

Mr.Kewal Handa- MD-Pfizer Limited.

Mr. Anand Karwa-CFO-Opus Software Solutions

Mr. Suresh Ramachandra- CFO- Perot System

Mr. D.K. Saraf- Director Finance- ONGC

All the above names are are just a glimps. So many people are there who are at the top of any corporate with ICWA qualifications.

The writer of this mail is working as GM Finance with one of the IT bellweather.

So, I told you ICWA qualification is no way inferior to CA. Now, decision is yours whether to go ahead with CA or ICWA.

Very well said Prasad . I am also Cost Accountant but right now I am very much attached with Sikkim Manipal University as Management Faculty ( Visiting ) and getting a very handsome salary . I do agree there is no differnce in CA or CWA .

Replied 25 October 2010

Dear Sir

If some body say C.A is better than icwa any day, it will definitly hurt the people who have done a lot of hard work in icwai . It is wrong to declare some thing is better than other in absence of data nothing could be concretely said which is better, it is just thoughts of indivuduals, so read and think yourself

My arguments in favour of CA are as under

1). Just make a phone call in both ICAI and ICWAI,- Difference will be shown in first minute. ICWAI will look like a Governemt Institute and ICAI like a private organization.

And difference in both every indian knows.

2). Pick any matrimonial page of news paper , how many ICWAI are sought unfortunately none and C.A are in league with I.A.S, IITIANS.

3.). By just writing line CA has some statutory powers only, matter does not ends, It is a big huge difference , The freedoem to start your own setup with negligible capital is not a small thing.

Now if hardwork is same why a begineer should do ICWAI he should go for CA Unless he has to do job for living and support his family.

This debate is useless which one is easy if  we are doing this debate then we should not join these course, These courses are and should be equally hard.

iind scenario lateal carrer change

Now comes 25-26 years old ambitious left out people with capacity to perform and still left out fuel to burn what they should do.

ICWAI and CA has fundamental difference – Icwai is purely for serve the organizations ( companies )

Now think if some body of 30 years of age with near zero practical experience will be recruited as fresh Management Accountant in companies chances are dismal unless he is working in Accounts section in any company since past 6-7 years .

So People who want to do lateral carrer change means complete change of carrer field and looking for Finance field they should go for CA

It is different matter every other thing is adverse in CA – ( Article ship, Money Insecurity )

ICWAI

Can be done along side with Job.

Oppertunities are in service

In organizations at higher posts valued Equivalent to CA as Excperience, Personality take front seat here.

CA

Can not be done with Job

Oppertunities are infinite.

At initial stage one has to struggle but will never sit idle at home.

C.A Ideal for Non Technical People who are willing to work hard and start afresh and looking for entirely new carrer.

ICWAI ideal for People who need a recognition tag to enter in Management Room.

Instead of doing useless Corrospondence M.B.A one can choose this course which is high in knowledge and equivalent to C.A in recoginition for people already in Finance Line.

So Mr. Ravi ball is in your court

If you are not willing to sacrifice three years of time , money, prestige, honour of yourself then do ICWAI no harm in doing ICWAI .

Change your field to accounts, finance if working in another company and grow with hardwork you do in ICWAI.

If Mr. Ravi wants and entirely new beginning , new life from start line

Then

Most fearfull course of India

Most Power full course of india giving power to someone with just 22 years of age to certify Millions.

CA

Is waiting you

These are just my thoughts any body can add into it, modify it or simply thrash it

I do not have that much experience to advise any one just writing for increasing knowledge therough exchang of ideas.

I wish some competent experienced person can brought light

As for Lateral Carrer change in life

M.B.A from reputed colleges is best Even a one year regular course can change whole course of life if done properly from reputed institue.

C.A is not Bad with some inherent disadavantages of Article ship

ICWAI I CAN NOT SAY

3 Like

bhargavi .k (student) (81 Points)
Replied 25 October 2010

icwa is betr

since after clearing cwa final

u can apply CIMA , which is globally recognised

do not go for ca , since ur pass is not definite

god bless.............

1 Like

Ravi Jorahosur (Working) (251 Points)
Replied 25 October 2010

thank very mcuh for all members  giving good ideas,

CA's- in every company need to auditing and b/s certify,

CS's - Compulsry appointed in every company after some share capital increased

But CWA in which types of work doing or practising induvidually, why not appointed compulsery in every company.( give correct reasons)

What types of Documents CWA's certifing , like CA's certifying many statement in related to company b/s,

Replied 25 October 2010

I am just asking  one thing. If CA is so high in all respect why they are lobbying for each and every thing. Why they are opposing the name change of ICWA to ICMA? Why they are lobbying against the inclusion of ICWA for the definition of accountants in Income Tax act? Why they are lobbying against formation of independent audit regulatory body proposed by MCA? So many whys? You cannot be called superior until and unless you come to the competition. Why are CAs proclaiming themselves a superior body without facing  competition?

I think in my previous email I have listed down the name of the folks with ICWA qualification only (no CA tag or MBA tag) who are at the helm of the corporates.

I reiterate, as per course content there is no diffrence.

CAs are enjoying  more statutory power by virtue of which you can start doing your own practice. But let us be practical, how many CAs have started practice after being passed out. There is also a cut throat competition. I have also started my CA practice 11 years back but could not able to sustain as hardly I could able to earn my operating cost due to a stiff competition.It is said that Crow does not have  its own flesh. But CA fraternity ? They eat each other. No ethics no professionlism. Every CA firm is at logeerhead with others.I have seen so many  CAs (including myself) have practiced for 5-6 years and being unable to survive as a practitioner they have joined in Corporates in a rank & file level during their mid thirties.

One side is myth and dream and other side is a hard reality.

All the best.

2 Like

Replied 26 October 2010

Sir

Your 1st point is valid , I have heard many times ICAI is creating obstacles for ICWAI

Iind point about people with ICWAI qualification at top of organizations. There is no surprise in that. People reaches at the top due to various factors Personality, Hardwork, Ethics, Intelligence, Loyality and many more.

There may be many people who have not got any benefit after doing ICWAI and getting salary of similar to a experienced Accountant. Perception veries from People to People.

Similar examples can be given about CA also and there may be many at the top who are B.COM only.

Course contents of both are almost same.

Your iiird Point about Lack of Opportunity for Practice, I give example of Doctors

Some do not get success  in private Practice some are highly successful they do not have the time even to eat properly. Some face stiff competition and leave practice and join job.

There is competition among doctors they also do various unethical practices not approved by their MCI.

So that does not mean People does not come in to Private Practice, It is an open field any body can come and thrive. It depends on number of Factors after all running business is not easy. Freedom comes at a Price.

Similiarly there is CA, Competition is there in firm , and  you must heard and adage that first year of any setup gets a loss , second year one start getting his bread and third year he start his earning.

To run own setup is life changing thing for family and generation to come , If others have done it why one can not. Even Advocates are getting a big chunk of business posing as Taxation Consultant Sales Tax and Income Tax.

I am not opposing ICWAI instead strongly advice people who are already in finance field to do this instead of doing some corrospondence or some Part time distant mode M.B.A. These day these course also demans around lac for fees.

The point is for lateral entry people who want to change their carrer in midway. I think ICWAI does not gives a launching Pad it is more like a Carrer Booster for already working People.

This was that much I could think. I do not have experience like you.

It  is Person to decide still if desperation is not high Person from a middle class family and working should go for ICWAI

Unless desire is very intense to be on Top , run own setup kind of thing, or hate for job kind of feeling being developed then sacrfice any thing for that freedom.

And jump for CA

Last do not go by any body’s advice , Ask yourself and your near and dear one

No body know you better than you yourself.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro