TDS deducted on dividend income

Myra Azavedo (Retired Teacher) (21 Points)

28 February 2023  

I am a senior citizen and have not filed ITR till date as my income has always been below 2 lacs p.a. Last year, in the month of September, I got to know that TDS has been deducted from the shares I own since 2020 in physical format since 20+ years. I was told that due to a new rule by SEBI, KYC has to be submitted and I did the same in the month of September. I went to the RTA's of the companies and these RTAs are TSR Darashaw, Linkintime and Kfintech. Since my PAN was not updated in their records, they did not issue me a TDS certificate and kept on deducted TDS @ 20% before my KYC was updated. Some companies like Tata Steel and SKF have not updated the KYC details till date and are continuing to deduct TDS.

Recently, TSR Darashaw contacted me saying KYC was not updated for Tata Steel Limited shares and TDS was deducted at 20%. Since my PAN was not registered, they aren't ready to revise their TDS return or issue me any TDS certificate. Because of this, my 26AS doesn't reflect any TDS deductions.

My income is below 2 lacs in the FY 2022-23 and the only source of income is through dividends and FDs. What should I do to claim this TDS refund?