Beware of fraud while looking for a job

CA Anurag Sharma (CA ) (16780 Points)

24 August 2016  

After passing CA or even when after passing B.Com or CA Inter people start to look for job opportunities. But the question arises how to look for jobs?

There are endless job portals and job consultants. Whom to trust?

In my job search I met many of those. I know I wont be allowed to name them but I just want you to be beware of the big nexus being going on there.

I met a person who was CA Inter and had come for interview. He told me that a consultant dumped him of Rs. 1250 and another consultant has charged Rs.500 and half months salary if selected to advice a job. I was surprised because I had come for an interview after searching job in Newspaper. I mean, for the job which one can easily find in newspaper, a consultant had charged Rs.500 for the same.

I tried to dig deep into it and more I went deep, the more the scenario shocked me.

There are people who want to have job of Rs.5,000 but they had to pay from Rs.500-1500 to a job consultant who will just tell them about the vacancy available.

There are hell lot of consultants being available. Some job portals who claim their services are free are no less in it too. I received a call from a job portal that if I pay them Rs.1250 they will refer me for a job. Me in curiosity actually to find out how it works paid the sum after being assured that won'tnt be charged further, but after few minutes i received a call from them saying that I should avail their resume services too and I will be charged around Rs.4,500 for it. I was shocked. I told them they are damaging their goodwill only by doing it and reply was shocking, the gentleman over there said, "Noone will believe you, how much you may shout. Ours is a brand and we have a goodwill". 

Then there are spam mails which say deposit so much money and we will get you interviewed in a reputed company. I cross checked these mails and some companies like Axis bank were kind enough to reply back that they don't hire like this.

Now let me tell you one thing, there are Govt run employment exchanges too but their condition is pathetic.

I then decided to take up the case to govt departments and mailed them telling them the cheating being carried on in the name of jobs. It has been 15 days but I haven't received any reply or assurance.

I have all the mails which I have received through these communications with various job consultants and portals, but hands are tied.

Now here's my take on how to avoid this

1. Never ever pay them anything. If they are asking for money then most probably they won't help you.

2. Look for jobs through newspapers. For me, they are the best source.

3. Never pay job portals. Many job portals first claim to be free but often end up in lurking job seekers in a trap.

4. If you receive any mail from some company claiming that you have to deposit so much amount after round 1 or 2, just don't do it. You can cross check it from the company.

5. Try to take things in writing. Tell them to send emails when you doubt a phone call.

6. Never share your bank account details with anybody.

Your safety is in your hands. There are so many news of such frauds, only you have to be aware.

(Note: the above write up is based on my actual experience)