Easy Office

pre-operative expenses treatment

Page no : 2
(Guest)

How do I treat expenses incurred before the start of the business? sole proprietorship business...

(Guest)

Expenses incurred till the date of Company formation are treated as preliminary expenses and shown in the asset as as miscellaneous expenditure.The expenses incurred from the date of Company formation till the date of commercial production are treated as preoperative expenses.The preoperative expenses are allocated to fixed assets after commercial production.

(Guest)

income under the head house property

Venkat Rao Marella (Manager Business Finance)   (1451 Points)
Replied 01 October 2008

Originally posted by :madhukar
" hi buddies
pls let me know the treatment of pre-operative expenses
and where it shoulb be shown in the financial statement
pls clarify

"

Pre operative expenses can be calptalised upto the date of commencement of production. The total expenses transfered to pre opeative expense account should be shown on the assets side of B/s under Misc expense not W/o.

(Guest)
Originally posted by :madhukar
" hi buddies
pls let me know the treatment of pre-operative expenses
and where it shoulb be shown in the financial statement
pls clarify

"

krishna (Chartered Accountant) (70 Points)
Replied 13 December 2008

Originally posted by :Guest
" please clarify it----
can depreciation be charged before commencement of business in case of a newly formed company???   if yes..then  as there is no P&L a/c..the same would be treated as pre operative exp..isn't it???
"

Paul Xavier (Chartered Accountant) (20 Points)
Replied 15 December 2008

Originally posted by :Prakash Popat
" It can Be shown as Deffer ed Revenue expenditure/miscellaneous expenditure as per sch vi assets side and amortized as per project durations management policy,auditor's view........... "

Shankar Gautam (article) (24 Points)
Replied 22 June 2009

A company was incorporated in 2005.its production started on 2008-09.during the period 2005-2008 it incurred expenditure on plants and machinery,furniture salary wages and other general expenses.As the P/L is not made for the pre operative period the same is  capitalized until the production begins.now the question is whether the whole of the expenses capital or revenue in nature should be included under pre operative expenses  and under what head of assets side of balance sheet(capital WIP or Misc expenditure).Further is such expenses allowed as deduction  under income tax act and in which year it is allowed .what is the relevant AS or companies act section.

DHEERAJ BHATT (Article) (44 Points)
Replied 28 July 2009

Hello Experts,

Suppose I purchase a new  machinery  and I made certain amount for its insurance .

Then should the expense made on insurance of that machinery  be capitalised along with the cost of machiney?

thanks,

Ganesh Kr. Bhagat (Accountant) (25 Points)
Replied 06 August 2009

What is pre-operative expenses and what is the treatment in capital work in progress

1 Like

Jitesh (article assistant) (37 Points)
Replied 19 August 2009

Originally posted by :DHEERAJ BHATT
"  Hello Experts,
Suppose I purchase a new  machinery  and I made certain amount for its insurance .
Then should the expense made on insurance of that machinery  be capitalised along with the cost of machiney?
thanks,
"

Hi, General Insurance on any asset will normally be for an year. Any expenditure incured as such will be revenue expenditure and should not be capitalized. Book the expenditure for the current year and balance show it as prepaid for next year.

Deepak (DGM-F & A) (33 Points)
Replied 09 September 2009

Originally posted by :DHEERAJ BHATT
"  Hello Experts,
thanks,
"

Hi Dheeraj,

When you purchase any assets and bear any additional cost will be added into the total capitalised cost , but it should be remember that its happend only first time expenses.

Thanks

Deepak Rastogi

Ankush (Student) (28 Points)
Replied 26 June 2010

Please reply if any body knows about Treatment of preoperative expenses done by real estate builders and developers ......

How they can show there expenses in the books before recognition of income........

if they are not earning profit ,they can show there expenses as loss in the ITR

or just capitalize them as preoperative expense and write off at the time of revenue recognition as per AS 9. 

Ankush (Student) (28 Points)
Replied 26 June 2010

Please reply if any body knows about Treatment of preoperative expenses done by real estate builders and developers ......

How they can show there expenses in the books before recognition of income........

if they are not earning profit ,they can show there expenses as loss in the ITR

or just capitalize them as preoperative expense and write off at the time of revenue recognition as per AS 9. 

SWATI BAJAJ (SERVICE) (22 Points)
Replied 09 September 2011

hi

pls let me know the treatment of preoperative expenses related to site development as if that property was sold out immediately in the same year. but still preoperative expenses are standing in my balance sheet...can i w/off the whole amount of preoperative expenses in the next year .??? or in some ratio????

Thank You

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: