Epf transfer/withdrawal query?

oyethatsme (Very Good) (52 Points)

21 July 2013  

I worked with Company C1 for 3 years (2007-2010). After changing job I never transferred or withdrew my EPF money.

After that I worked for Company C2 for the next 3 years (2010-2013).

I have just left C2 after 3 years and have decided to start a small startup of my own and have no plans to join any other company in foreseeable future.

As per my understanding, if I withdrawa EPF money before 5 years then the amount would be taxable. If I transfer the EPF money before 5 years then then no tax is applicable.

Now given my situation, If I withdraw each of them separately then I will have to pay tax on each of them. But if first I transfer EPF money from C1 to C2 and then finally withdraw from C2 there will be no tax.

Questions –

1) Is my above understanding correct?

2) To avoid any tax, is it possible to transfer EPF from C1 to C2 now given that I have left job at C2?

3) If the accounts person at C2 denies for this transfer from C1 (because of the reason that I have left the company), can I transfer this on my own without involving company people?

4) Is there any other better solution to reduce the tax outgo?

Thanks for taking your time out and reading the question in detail. I would really appreciate your help here to clear the above doubts.