Income from house property & tax deduction

meabhijit (Project Manager) (172 Points)

18 December 2011  

Hi All,

Need your expert advice towards tax planning.

I have self owned property with a home loan with SBI. I stay with my parents due to family reasons and so the self owned property is vacant. The interest for the home loan is ~2.2Lakh/year. I understand that I need to pay notional rent on the vacant property while I can claim HRA for staying wth parents.

My questions are:
1. How do I calculate the fair value of vacant property? Similar rented property in the same building fetches 15000Rs/month but due to economic conditions now, such tenants are not available.
2. If I plan to rent the property to my brother can I can rent it on lesser than market value since the arrangement is within family. Will get the rent agreement notorised for legal/income tax purposes.
3. I had also borrowed money from parents to buy the self-owned property. Can I claim deduction for interest  on this relative borrowed under section 24(b) in addition to 2.2Lakh/year from SBI? If yes, can I use it for income from property calculation?
4. Can the deduction for interest on this relative borrowed money be claimed even if it is due only (i.e. actually not repaid to lender)
5. How long can interest be kept the due only? Is there any legal time period for this OR depends on the agreement between lender and borrower?
6. Is the due only interest taxable to the lender OR it is taxed when it is repaid in actual?

Thanks.