Easy Office
LCI Learning

Communication on arrear demand

Page no : 7

Bosco Menezes (n.a.) (48 Points)
Replied 13 February 2012

Hi Manu,

I think you should just say that you believe that you have paid your taxes correctly & carry with you the acknowledged tax returns + tax challans. I feel the tax payments have not got adjusted correctly in their system. The IT Officer will be able to shed some light on the same.

- Bosco

Manu (Job) (22 Points)
Replied 13 February 2012

Thanks Bosco.

Any idea how the demand is calculated? I mean let's assume that AO find that IT is underpaid by 10K, then is there some penality added? If yes, how much % ?

And the Interest part on the amount arrived? If yes, from when; say if the demand is for AY 2008-09, then is it calculated from 1/04/2008 ;; and what's the rate of interest (12%?)

Replied 13 February 2012

Hi Manu, i am a layperson like yourself .... any CA will be able to guide you on this .... request CA's to respond .... ps : maybe Manu you can even send private messages to 1-2 CA's who have responded to this thread for these clarifications (so that they get an alert).

Kapil (SM) (25 Points)
Replied 16 February 2012

Hi, I have received similar demand for AY08-09. While Form-16 reflects the whole TDS is deducted & deposited, Form-26AS shows credit of lesser TDS and that is why the arrear demand has been raised. Kindly advise what is to be done to get 26AS rectified?

Kapil 

Replied 21 March 2012

My CA has followed up recently & has been told to check back in April. Obviously, reversing the errorneous demands before 31st March will involve IT Dept having to make refunds / refund adjustments in many cases, so it will get done only post 31st March.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: