Demand notice for tax already paid

Arun Verma (Self Employed) (40 Points)

05 March 2016  

Hello

I logged into my Income Tax eportal account and found that there is a tax demand notice for the assessment year 2009-2010 and it was raised in 2011. I didn't get any notice by post or by email. Had I not logged into the eportal, I would not have known about it at all. I file my taxes through paper mode (no eFiling) 

The tax amount in the demand notice is around Rs14000 and the computation doesn't show any tax that was paid by me. However, a total tax of 12,100 was already paid in Aug 2009 including all the applicable charges and fees. I have even received refunds since 2009-2010,even I received on this year as well. 

The basic tax paid and the amount shown in the demand notice is the same. The only difference is between the charges u/s 234(b) & 234(c). I assume that since my tax payment wasn't acknowledged, they continued adding up the advance tax and late payment penalties. Please note that the tax was paid through SBI on Aug 17 and the same is reflected in form 26(AS) as well. 

I would be grateful if anyone could kindly answer the following questions I have:

1. Do I have to respond to the Tax Demand Notice, considering that it has not been attended to since 2011.?

2. If I do have to respond, which option should I select to convey that I have already paid the tax and that the demand tax is also more than the amount that was finalized during the filing?

3. The tax was paid manually at an SBI branch and the serial number allotted was 00001. Can I state this serial number while filing a response to the Tax Demand Notice? 

Please advise. 

Many thanks in advance