CCI Online Coaching    |    x

Definition of Debit / Credit Note

Please tell me the actual definition.

Thanks & Regards

Almost CA

When there are purchase return we inform the party to debit our account and a debit note is prepared and when sales return are there we make a credit note .

Credit Note, Debit Note 

Credit Note

Issuing a credit note is almost the reversal of issuing an invoice. The customer must receive a copy in order to repay any VAT claimed, and you can recover any VAT paid. Credit notes, as with invoices, must have a sequential numbering system.

Debit or credit notes to be raised by one party and received by the other within one month of being discovered or agreed: further, in the ''details' section of the note, a reference to the reason for the note ('damaged goods', 'not delivered/received') the invoice number and date (see section 7. HM Customs & Excise 'The VAT Guide' for full details).

Debit Note

The answer to most of these problems is to have a simple, effective and efficient system for customers to inform you of the issue at hand. For instance: if your customer gets a short delivery or goods are damaged in transit or the customer no longer requires some part of your goods/service, the customer (with your carefully considered authority) can issue a debit note to you for the amount in 'dispute'.

For example:

Invoiced Amount Rs 300.00
Customer sends to you  
Debit Note for damaged goods Rs. 30.00
Cheque for Rs.  270.00

The original invoice remains the same: which ensures there is no delay due to the customer notifying you of the damage, and you then having to send either a credit note or a new invoice, prior to payment. Or you having received the £270.00 cheque and trying to find out why it is £30.00 short of the invoiced amount.

You may encounter a customer who insists on the use of debit notes. If used sensibly the debit note is a great advantage to both parties.

Total likes : 1 times

I want to know in the case of issueing Credit note, could we get VAT rebate.

Thanks for giving about Credit note

Admin Cum Accountant

i need notes of debit note and credit

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Search Forum:

× Online Coaching My Enrolled Courses
Articles Forum News Experts Exams Share Files Income Tax Accounts Career Corporate Law Service Tax Video Judgements Rewards Top Members Events Albums Find Friends Featured Feed Scorecard Bookmarks Mock Test Poll Notification Knowledge Finder Coaching Institutes Trainee Corner Jobs
close x