Deciding Which One You Are Could Determine Your Success

(Guest)

4 Types of People: Deciding Which One You Are Could Determine Your Success

"It is easy to sit up and take notice. What is difficult is getting up and taking action."
- Al Batt, writer and speaker
There are two groups of people in this world: those who take action and those who don't. Within each of these are two subcategories. Decide which category best fits you and you'll know what to do to achieve greater joy and success in life.
The Inactive

The two types of "Inactive" are the Wanna-Be's and the Paralyzed.

The Wanna-Be's

Wanna-Be's are dreamers who set big goals or dreams, but never take action. Perhaps they're too afraid to take a step into the darkness or they ignore those little impressions and feelings prodding them, and end up lying on a couch somewhere in front of a television.

Perhaps the Wanna-Be's are waiting for someone to come along and motivate them, to inspire them, or to make them believe their dreams are possible. The problem is that we cannot rely upon other people to keep us motivated or inspired. That has to come from within.

If a goal is too big, it may frighten the Wanna-Be. A solution is to break the big goal into sub-goals and take one step at a time. This will keep them from becoming overwhelmed. If you're a dreamer but not a worker, then ask yourself "What is one thing I can do today to take a step toward my dream?" Listen for the answer and act upon it. Remember the movie What about Bob? "Baby steps to the hallway, baby steps to the elevator, baby steps out the door . . ." Take action, and one step at a time, the pathway will light ahead of you and you'll see the next step to take.

The Paralyzed

The Paralyzed are those who cannot seem to decide upon a trajectory and so they never take action at all. They're so afraid of choosing the wrong thing that they stand still and choices are made for them by default. They let life happen around them and end up like Matthew McConaughey's character in Failure to Launch.

Generally, the Paralyzed have to become so miserable where they are that change is preferable. Or life might have to deal them a blow that forces them to move -- such as a job loss, a health problem, or a parent kicking them out of the house. My advice to the Paralyzed is to set a goal -- any goal that feels good to you. Then act upon any inspiration you receive IMMEDIATELY. Don't delay! Act! Take a step. Follow my advice to the Dreamers above. You can always change your mind later if you decide that goal's not for you, but the simple act of taking a step forward will yield great results. You'll learn a little bit more about yourself and what you like or dislike. If you never try, you'll never know.

The Action Takers

Within the action group are two subcategories: The Wheel Spinners and The Bliss Builders.

The Wheel Spinners

Wheel Spinners are those who take action with no thought for direction. They have no major goal for which they are working -- other than perhaps to keep their head above water. Workaholics often fall into this category. They're much like a rat on a wheel, spinning, spinning, spinning, yet never going anywhere in particular.

I was like this until one morning I woke up with a vision of myself as a treadmill-running rat. It was one of my most depressing moments, yet it changed my life. Once I discovered and internalized this fact, I came to understand my folly. I had never set a clear trajectory -- never taken the time to create a big goal for which I was working -- an overall objective for what I wanted my life to look and feel like. Once I decided what I wanted to be, do, and have in life, then all the action I took started to have meaning and efficacy. I began to work smarter instead of harder, and my life became a relaxed, peaceful experience.

The Bliss Builders

Finally, we come to those who have the perfect blend of vision and action. The Bliss Builders dream big and act upon inspiration and/or intuition as it comes. They learn to recognize the still small voice of inspiration and act immediately upon it. They know that the quicker they act upon these instructions, the more instruction they'll receive until they are led step by step to their ultimate destination.

Bliss Builders also realize that success resides in the journey, not the destination. While they have a clear objective of what they want, they are grateful for today and the little lessons learned along the way. They don't stress if they must take a side-route or even take a few steps backward to pick up a person, skill, or insight. They focus on staying in a state of already feeling and being the person they envision. As they continue in this thankful way of living, they learn to find joy in the moment. Life becomes a joyous adventure because they understand that life is more about being who you want to be than in having or doing.

So which one are you? Decide today that you're going to be a Bliss Builder. It's a four-step process.
·         First, get a feel for how you want your life to look, feel and be. Write it down!
·         Second, ask, "What action can I take today toward my blissful life?"
·         Third, act upon the feelings, impressions or inspiration you receive.
·         Fourth, be observant and grateful for everything that comes along your way.
Repeat the steps daily -- read what you wrote in step one. (I keep mine on a slip of paper in my back pocket), and then repeat the remaining steps each day. Day-by-day you'll become the person you envision and live the blissful life that's custom made for you.