Easy Office
LCI Learning

Clubbing british english and american english? Okay???

Page no : 2

CA Srikanth Yadav (Chartered Accountant) (3162 Points)
Replied 04 June 2013

Originally posted by : Aanya

Professionally i dont think any person has time to go through the language... Majority of them just read the relevant matter and finish the work... 

But the thing you're forgetting here is that "Bad English" would create a bad impression! Proper English (or whatever the language may be) is instrumental in conveying ideas with clarity, professionalism, and precision.

(Guest)

@ srikant..., There are very few professionals who understand difference between good and bad language...!!! I have seen soooo many people who cnat even frame a single short, perfect english statement...

Replied 04 June 2013

But you shouldn't lower your standards just because most people are like that. You've to push yourself to maintain your own standards and serve as an example to others! Don't do any kind of comparisions with others; just give your best! That's all........

Budding Professional (B.Com, CA & CS FINAL) (1686 Points)
Replied 04 June 2013

It indeed looked like a  humour discussion in the first half of it.

Talking of British English and American english, they are lot similar to each other and at the same time, different as well. The way we have been using it, we combine both the scriptts with each other and most of the times, not knowing which word belongs to which scriptt.  And it not just in normal conversations, but even in formal and corporate writeups, they appear combined. But in my opinion, its the British English that we Indians use mostly. And I don't really think that you need to delve too much deep in differences between both of these, but if you can get a grip over it, u will always have the advantage. And remember, you will have to surf through a bulky dictionary to get a full command over these.

So, I think that its okay and we have been doing it since long. As long as you are not giving any language exam, there are no issues whatsoever. Having said that, it goes unnoticed most of the times even at the topmost of the levels, so no point thinking about it. 

There are a lot more other things that you can apply your productive mind to, and this particular one can be your secondary priority.

Replied 05 June 2013

Okay so I guess I can give my answer to this thread now.

Well I've first asked this same question to a few of my seniors (yes their English is pretty good enlightened). And all of them have said the same thing as what the other members here have said i.e., your English doesn't sound weird at all just because you mix British English and American English in your speaking or writing. That's not a big deal at all, is what they have said.

But I again asked a few online friends of mine (who're native English speakers). And all of them have given a totally contrast answer to what my Indian friends have given.

Here is an extract of my conversation with one of them (his name is Flo; he grew up in UK and then at the age of 16, he went to New York  for his college and since then he has been in the States i.e., for over 8 years now. So I can say he's the most apt person to answer this question).

I: Hey Flo :) How're you? I've one doubt mate

Flo: I'm good. How's you?  And what's your doubt Bro?

I: What is the difference between American English and British English. Or is there any actually?

Flo: Spelling and some grammar and some words

Lorry for truck

Colour for color

I thought you fancied her

For I thought you liked her

Personally I grew up speaking British English (Scottish really but that's a whole different can of worms) so I may be teaching you grammar that is acceptable in the UK but not in the US haha I've lived in the States long enough to be able to spell semi-properly though.

Hope that helps 

I: Hey thank you. Yes it did help me and Flo I've one more doubt. Does it sound weird if we club both American English and British English? For example, if we write something like, "my favorite colour is Orange" (since favorite is American spelling and colour is British spelling), does it look odd?

Flo: Yes that is more than odd. It's also just wrong. Don't do that man. You'll get laughed at for sure. . Dude choose one or the other, or else you are incorrect in both! 

Conclusion: So I can conclude that it may be okay to club British English and American English, if you're working in India. But if you go abroad (i.e., to an English speaking country), you've to take care of that. Or atleast that is what I believe so. Hit "thanks" if you agree with me (or else give your comments)

1 Like

navinkumar naicker (Article) (419 Points)
Replied 05 June 2013

hiii shrikant,

i completely agree with u Bro these are the minute things which we rather forget or never care to rectify while in conversation or in writting nd yes the thing u said that when you go to places like Uk u need to very carefull regarding ur grammar there its a matter of respect & the quality u got.

Even one my friend whose has been to Uk for post graduation said the same thing.

Best regards

navin.

1 Like

(Guest)

@ anamika .............you rock !!!!!  ROFL  :)

Ganeshbabu K (Audit and Tax Advisory) (48559 Points)
Replied 05 June 2013

ROFL............SHRIKANT, FB NI VAADAALANTAY NEE THARAVAATHAY

i didnt understood that much difference but we generally use uk english only

1 Like

Replied 05 June 2013

Originally posted by : Ganeshbabu K

ROFL............SHRIKANT, FB NI VAADAALANTAY NEE THARAVAATHAY

i didnt understood that much difference but we generally use uk english only

Hahahaha thank you :)

But NEEKU TELUGU VACHCHA? (You know Telugu?)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: