Can't we do anything?

CA Himali Gajjar (student) (340 Points)

16 December 2012  

Can't we do anything?

Since last few days I was going to drop my brother to his school, I noticed one thing that extremely distressed me. It forced me to think that is it the real India that the founders of our country had dreamed of?

I saw two children on a road, both were of same age. One had a school bag on his shoulder, properly combed hairs, wearing polished shoes & there was intense eagerness in his eyes to reach school.

On the other hand, second child was not much different from the first one, he also had a bag on his shoulder but  the only difference was, his bag was full of garbage & waste he had collected from dump. He also wore the clothes but  they were old,ragged, dirty . His hairs didn’t look so bad, but his poverty had made marks on them & made them dry & dirty for lack of proper care.He also had beautiful eyes but they were filled with the boredom of finding garbage for daily bread.

What do I say? Both the children were of same age & still they  differ a lot with so much contrast  from each other! I feel like crying with helplessness & become sad  when I saw such children in dumps  in the age of playing with toys & enriching themselves with treasure of knowledge in books. What was his mistake? Why his childhood is ruined in dumps ? Why he has to struggle foe better living conditions?  

We, the people of so called modern society, living our lives with all comfort s, had learned to ignore them, even after knowing everything! “It’s their fate!” we used to say so. I find myself utterly helpless when I can’t do anything for them! We have to do something ..but what exactly that don’t know…

Education might be one solution for uplifting their lives..Night schools, devotion of some time by educated people to uplift their lives & many more..Ideas & options are a lot. I don’t want to sit idle having just cursory pity for them. Even it may  be a very small thing but let me do it to bring some cheers in their days. A small step is enough to start a journey.

Let us at least not be rude with them, let us not fire them for no reasons, let us give them a smile, let us share our left over clothes , other utility items with them. Let us make their life a bit easier by whatever way we can. This is not going to cost us any extra.

Is this not a small step to start????

Can't we do atleast this much????enlightened