Can CA aspire CFA?

Sathish Karunakaran (ACA) (614 Points)

18 October 2007  

Hi freinds,

I'm a final student. I wish to pursue CFA after completion of CA course. when i browsed CFA's website, i came across the following.

"Recently in May 2007 the Supreme Court pronounced a judgment permitting CAs to pursue the CFA Program. Thus CAs are now free to enroll into the CFA Program and use the Chartered Financial Analyst designation after successful completion of the program. However, students may still find an earlier restriction on page 22 of the prospectus (2007) issued by the CA Institute. In view of the recent Supreme Court judgement, this restriction is invalid. The ICFAI University has already written to the CA Institute to remove this restriction from the prospectus".

But ICAI refused to recognise CA cum CFA on the grounds that the designation "CFA" resembles with our members designation "FCA" which may create a confusion in the society as well it also contravenes provisions of CA Act & regulations. (but i'm not sure about this reason, absolutely it's my guess!)

Does anybody know more details regarding this issue. please sort out this and help me.

Thanks and my Best wishes to everyone

K. Sathish