Can an online travel agent (ota) charge gst to hotels in india who are gst exempted?

G A J MOL (Mr) (58 Points)

03 October 2018  

Can Booking.com, as an Online Travel Agent (OTA), charge GST to hotels in India who are GST exempted because their annual turnover is less than 20 lakh? 

We are a hotel  with an inactivated GSTIN because our annual turnover is less than Rs. 20 lakh. 

Booking.com is charging us  18% GST on online bookings from our guests and above that they charge 15% commission for their service (without GST)

Booking.com is not collecting payments of guests on our behalf. 

We are providing an ordinary bill (NO TAX BILL) to our guests. So, we do not charge our guest GST because we are GST exempted. 

So, guests pay directly to us, and booking.com charges monthly a commission of 15% on the bookings they provide to us. On that  commission no GST is charged by them

Booking.com says that they have to pay 18% GST on the bill amount to the Indian Commercial Tax Office and they charge us monthly with a GST bill of 18% on our monthly total bookings turnover on the bookings received through them..

Example: 

A guest books a room via booking.com  at my hotel  for Rs. 3000.

I bill the guest Rs. 3000 (without GST) and the guest pays that amount to me.

Booking.com charges me (so I have to pay to them):

GST 18% of the room rent = Rs. 540

Commission 15% = Rs. 450

Booking.com pays Rs.540 GST to Tax Office.

I have the feeling that they have to charge me only GST on their commission(their service to me) and not on the full room rent, because they do not collect Rs. 3000 for me from the guest.

MY QUESTIONS:

Q1: Is this legal and correct to charge us for GST on the amount of full room rent? 

Q2: I cannot find any rule like this in GST law, but Booking.com says that Online Sevice Providers have to charge their customers GST on the full booking amount when they do not have a GST number. 

Q3:  I have the opinion that they have to charge me only GST on their commission(their service to me) and not on the full room rent

Looking forward to your reply.