Avail 50% discount on All CS & CMA subjects for Dec batch . Use coupon code Dec14

Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Service Tax > Others >

Applicability of service tax for builders

Pages : 1

partner

[ Scorecard : 47]
Posted On 08 May 2013 at 14:46 Report Abuse

I need one clarification regarding applicability of service tax for builders.  A builder  constructs residential apartments and offer to the public.  The total number of apartments is 8.  Whether he needs to collect service tax along with the sale value.  kindly refer with notification if any

Online classes for CA CS CMA

PMA Nooruddin
M.Com, Finance Manager

[ Scorecard : 402]
Posted On 08 May 2013 at 15:01

Service tax is not payable if the apartment is sold after completion subject to some conditions. However, service tax is applicable if the apartment is booked and agreement is entered into during construction. In this case, relevant services that are applicable are construction of residential complex and works contract service. There is a view that former is applicable when the company is only developing/constructing the property owned by the service recipient. Works contract service is applicable in cases where there is transfer of property in goods involved in execution of the contract which is leviable to tax as sale of goods. While the rate under former service is 3.09% on the basic price provided land cost is included in the service value, the rate under works contract service is 4.944% on construction value of the sale price.

As the methods in vogue are different, comparing only service tax with others may not be advisable in all cases and buyers are advised to be guided by overall cost of their unit as compared to similar units in the neighborhood and other factors like quality, reputation of the developer, amenities and project approvals

Total thanks : 1 times

d.viswanathan
partner

[ Scorecard : 47]
Posted On 08 May 2013 at 15:07

Thank you for your reply.  Again my question is the builder constructs and enter into an agreement for the sale and the flats are books by paying advances in stages.  In that case, whether the builder is to collect service tax from the buyers.  There was a provision that the service tax is applicable for above 12 units.  whether there is any subsequent amendment to that

PMA Nooruddin
M.Com, Finance Manager

[ Scorecard : 402]
Posted On 08 May 2013 at 15:11

MAYUR DAVE
Service

[ Scorecard : 39]
Posted On 30 July 2013 at 12:46

whether service tax is applicable for builders who built  165 flats having carpet area under 65 Sq.Meteres

Please reply at an earliest

Mayur DAVE

NirmalVilla

[ Scorecard : 22]
Posted On 10 September 2013 at 21:31

If you are staying in any luxury hotels or service apartments you can pay more that 1000 per day, you have to pay 12.7% service tax in that money.

Amit B
project finance

[ Scorecard : 21]
Posted On 14 September 2013 at 17:27

I work in a construction company. We given a RCC contract to sub-contractor.

material and labour is managed my sub-contractor.

I want to know how to calculate service tax liability for sub- contractor and rate of tax.

There are 6 Replies to this message

Related Files