Sign-in to your account
Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.
Today, about more than half of the newly qualified Chartered Accountants prefer to join industry. The first step to enter in to the industry is by obtaining a job through campus placement programme held by ICAI or through any other open interview. Thus, the first step for the newly qualified CAs wishing to enter into the industry is to prepare for an interview. A candidate who has appeared in CA Final examination wishing to join industry through campus placement should start preparing for campus / job interview well in advance before the declaration of results. He should also ensure that his / her GMCS training gets completed before the declaration of results. So that he / she doesn’t have to waste much time in preparation after the declaration of the results and he / she can directly appear in any interview. Here you will learn some very useful tips regarding how to prepare for an interview.
Preparing for an interview is not like preparing for any examination. Following are very useful tips to prepare for an interview:
1. You should get the handbook for the newly qualified CAs. You will surely find this book very much useful for the preparation for interview and group discussions. I have uploaded this file on CAcludindia. It is available on the following link: Handbook for fresher CAs
2. You should watch the videos on how to appear in the interview, how to dress, how to answer interview questions, body language, gesture etc. These types of videos are easily available on many websites like you tube etc. You can use Google search engine to search for these types of videos. This is a very useful for preparing for an interview as this will facilitate you to hear observe visually the interview process.
3. You also have to prepare a professional resume. I have written an article on how to prepare a professional resume. You can refer this article on the following link: How to prepare a professional resume?
4. Make a list of questions generally asked in an interview and prepare the answers in advance. So that you can reply the generally asked questions very effectively during your interview. You will get the list of questions generally asked in an interview from the handbook for fresher CAs mentioned in point No. 1 above.
5. If you are attending campus placement, you may have to attend multiple interviews on the same day and also outside your hometown. So in such case, make a detailed plan well in advance regarding the date and time of interview, city of interview, things required for interview, booking of travel tickets and hotel for staying outside etc.
6. Carry extra copies of your resume, your passport size photos, a notebook and pen with you when you go for an interview.
7. Dress professionally i.e. a coat, tie, trouser and shoes for male candidate and sari or a trouser and shirt for female candidate. If any dress code is prescribed the entity conducting the interview, then adhere to that dress code. For example, for appearing in the campus placement interview conducted by ICAI, a dress code has been prescribed by ICAI.
8. Find out the details and history of the company in which you are going to appear for an interview. This is a very useful as you can show your knowledge about the company during the interview process which will in turn increase your chance of success in the interview and getting the job.
9. Gather details of the industry in which you wish to obtain job. You can use internet, published annual reports and other journals as a source to gather details about any particular industry.
10. Reach at the place of interview 10 -15 minutes earlier than the time of the interview.
11. Read the books related to the general knowledge, newly announced budget, general awareness, newspapers etc.