For most of the people it is difficult to plan for long term as there are various alternatives. Goal setting is too difficult. Still one may plan his daily routine on the following way. The research is towards finding MORE TIME which ultimately results into more enjoyment in life.
To find "more time"; divide daily routine into half hour slots of 8 hours (Total 16).
(This much time is sufficient to be a successful self-employed person after having a professional qualification).
Now one may part it in the following manner:
1. In first two hours; do 2 to 4 most important (urgent) work in your hand.
(Don't even pick up mobile at that time until it is too important - Mobile can be made at every interval of half an hour from your end to the person who has called you).
2. In next half hour slot: PLAN for the day.
If nothing is in hand right now; either make calls to those who regularly interact with you during the day and ask if anything urgent is required today (applicable when retainership/continuous audit/internal audit is had ).
3. For another half an hour slot; update your knowledge in between the work to refresh you
(Many professional don't even open the wrapper of the Journals).
4. Don't allow any meeting with one person for more than 2-half hour slot. Better restrict it to for half an hour.
(Further plan it for next day; if required).
It is experienced that long meetings are not EFFECTIVE in terms of PROFESSIONAL REMUNERATION.
More meetings will give insight about nature of work and about the people with whom one is interacting.
(Simple Rule: You can't understand a man in a day if you have meeting with him for 8 hours: You will better know him if you have 16 meetings of half-hour with him).
5. Present your professional knowledge at the INSTITUTE, COLLEGES AND MANAGEMENT INSTITUTIONS at least for 2-3 half hour slots.
(It might be less rewarding (even NIL) in terms of money; but after a reasonable period it will create PROFESSIONAL IDENTITY and OPPORTUNITIES).
To boost your confidence it is a must.
The wonderful benefit: You will feel young till life lasts.
6. Sixer on Last Ball:
DON'T ALLOW A CLIENT TO SAY HIM THE WORK IS VERY URGENT. BEING A PROFESSIONAL; IT IS YOU TO DECIDE WHETHER THE WORK IS REALLY URGENT.