Easy Office
LCI Learning

Service tax on Rental Income

Page no : 6

Sanjeev Kumar (Private) (895 Points)
Replied 15 July 2008

for getting ser. tax registration there is a thresshold limit of Rs. 8 lacs and liability for charge n payment is Rs. 10lacs i.e. upto 10 lacs no need to pay if you have not charged

OFFICESELVA (Service) (515 Points)
Replied 15 July 2008

Threshold limit during current financial year is Rs.9 Lakhs.

(Guest)

hi

Is it necessary to collect service tax on rental income which exceeds 8 lakhs if we consider the rent for the month of April and May 2007. But the notification come into force only from 1st june 2007.

Replied 15 July 2008

The rent relating to June 2007onwards alone needs to be taken into consideration for computation SSI excemption.  

(Guest)

to mr. sanjeev kumar

reference to your reply dated  07/15/2008

sir thank you. can you leave your contact detail for further details. you can mail me at karan.wingflow @ yahoo.com

karan malhotra (business) (22 Points)
Replied 21 July 2008

i'm losing a sum of rs. 25000(approx.)to my tennant i.e. a bank in a misunderstanding that the bank is not supposed to pay us service tax and my lac of knowledge in taxation.my rental income is more than 10 lacs rupees. the bank is refusing to pay service tax.

(Guest)
kindly clarify on service tax applicable in house rent

Replied 22 July 2008

A big NO.

(Guest)

Is there any service tax is levied on parking spaces under 'Renting of Immovable Property'? Please give full details about this.

Replied 11 August 2008

'Rent of parking space' is a commertial activity.  If the same is more than the thershold limit then the same will attract service tax.

Chandra Sekhar P (G.M. Finance & Accounts)   (116 Points)
Replied 12 August 2008

Originally posted by :Sadhuanj
" I am receiving a rent Rs 1.00 lakh per month which is sharing equally myself and my wife. The property is in the joint name. The property has given letout for a software company. As per the latest provisions of service tax, the service tax will be levied on rentals. Please guide the service tax provisions, whether service tax applicable to this case? In case if required to pay service tax.. who has to pay the service tax i.e service provider or service receiver. Please clarify ?

Letting out of immovable property is a taxable service. Service tax is payable by the recipient of rent. Since the property is in the joint name, you need to make separate agreements, so that service tax basic exemption limit can be claimed. When there is one single agreement, you will come under service tax ambit.
"

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Guest
" We are receiving a rent Rs. 1.50 Lakh per month. The property has given letout for a Factory space at Okhla. As the latest provision of service tax, the service tax will be levied on rent received. Please guide us what, we have to pay service tax on that amount, if so, what is proceduure and what is the limit? "

Replied 08 September 2008

You have to pay service tax on income exceeding Rs.8 Lakhs during FY 2007-08

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Sadhuanj
" I am receiving a rent Rs 1.00 lakh per month which is sharing equally myself and my wife. The property is in the joint name. The property has given letout for a software company. As per the latest provisions of service tax, the service tax will be levied on rentals. Please guide the service tax provisions, whether service tax applicable to this case? In case if required to pay service tax.. who has to pay the service tax i.e service provider or service receiver. Please clarify ?

"

S. Banerjee (Practising Cost Accountant. Core area- Central Excise. Service Tax Costing system installation including maintenance of Cost Records and Cost Audit and Management Audit mainly Revenue leakages Audit)   (622 Points)
Replied 18 October 2008

Whether Service Tax is applicable on sub-let under "Renting on imvoble property" ?

S. Banerjee

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: