Did you Ask for the Right Thing ???

CA Devanand Jethanandani (CA) (8003 Points)

02 September 2014  

Once upon a time, there was a king named Kingshuk. Hunting was his hobby. During one of his hunting expeditions, he spotted a deer. Its beauty fascinated him. He decided he is going to capture this deer and not kill it. He issued an order; no one was to harm this deer.

The deer was swift. Every time the king would come close, the deer would bound away. The king was patient. He did not give up. Everyone became tired. The sun rose above the head. It was scorching hot.

The king asked all his men to set up a tent and cook food. Singlehandedly, he went in the pursuit of this deer. He was completely besotted with the dear 

Suddenly, he was attacked by jungle dacoits. The king fought valiantly but they were many. He was about to be defeated and taken hostage when four young men reached the place, fought and defeated the dacoits. 

Mighty pleased with the young men, the king invited them to the royal court.

When the friends reached the palace, a special welcome awaited them. They were showered with rose petals, lavished with good clothes, special palatial food and enough gifts.

They were pleased. The king then asked them, 'Is there any wish of yours that I can fulfill? I will grant whatever you wish for.'

The friends were hesitant at first. They were already overwhelmed with the attention and affection. When the king insisted, one by one they asked what they wanted.

The first friend said, "I live in a broken hut with my mother. In the monsoons, water pours from the roof. In the summers, it is the sun that makes life very difficult. In the winters the cold breeze makes life unbearable. Will it too much to ask for the hut to be repaired and the roof to be set right?' 

The king asked, 'That’s all? This is very simple. It will be done.’ He instructed his ministers to get a big new house made for the young man. The first friend was thrilled.

The second friend said, 'I am a poor farmer. After paying taxes, we are left with little. That little would actually be sufficient if I could sell my produce in the market. The market is about 30 kms away and the road to the market is very bad. Many times, my cart's wheel have broken on this road. Like me, many farmers have faced the same issue. Our entire produce would rot on the roads. The losses would be huge. Hence, we play safe and sell to merchants whose carts had strong wheels and expert cartmen. Unfortunately, the merchants give very low rates. Hence, life is a big struggle for all the farmers of the village. Would it too much to ask for a proper to road to be built so that not only I have enough but all the farmers would have enough?'

The king asked, 'That’s all? This is very simple. It will be done.’ He instructed his ministers to get a new road made from the village of the second young man to the market place. The second friend too was thrilled.

The third friend said, 'My lord, my issue is a little different. I come from a far away village. We all became friends at our guru's place. There, I fell in love with the Guru's daughter. She too loves me. However, my guru says I don't know you well enough. I need someone's guarantee to get you married to my daughter. Would it be too much to ask you to stand guarantee for me?'

The king asked, 'That’s all? This is very simple. It will be done.’ Not only did the king agree to stand as a guaranteer, he also promised to get the marriage done with pomp and glory at the palace itself. 

The third friend too was completely thrilled. 

The fourth friend was quiet. He was looking towards the floor. All eyes turned on him. He remained quiet. The king asked in a booming voice, 'All your friends have got what they wanted. Now it’s your turn. What do you want?'

The fourth friend said, 'My lord, the fact that I could meet you, the fact, I could be of some use to you in this life time of mine, is more than what I ever thought I will get in life. What more can I ask for? Thank you for everything.'

The king saw, this friend is a special guy. He is not driven by needs; he is driven by respect and purpose. The king insisted the fourth friend should also ask for something.

How to turn down a King's request? Caught in a quandary, the fourth friend said, 'My lord, what I wish for is certainly something that you can give. If for any reason, you don't want to give, I will understand and not have any regrets. If you permit me, I shall ask?' 

The King was intrigued. The whole court was intrigued. The other three friends were intrigued. 

'Ask', said the king.

'My lord, would you please come to my home and have food please?,' he asked.

There was hushed silence in the hall. How can a common villager ask this from a king? This is preposterous, a few exclaimed.

The king looked thoughtful. The other friends were scared what if the king becomes angry and takes back gifts given and revokes promises made?

They were relieved when they saw the king smile. The King looked at that simple young village man, the fourth friend, and asked, 'Are you married?' 

'No my King' the fourth friend replied. 

The King continued, 'You are a very very smart person. I like you. Will you marry my only daughter and take care of my kingdom when I am there no more?'

The entire court was abuzz with murmurs. What has the King done? And why?

The King raised his hand to quieten everyone. When silence reigned again, the King started to speak.

'My dear people, from his clothes, I can tell, he too comes from a very poor family. Yet he did not ask for money or home. From these rough hands, it is clear he too is a farmer, yet he did not ask for stronger ox or better roads. He asked for ME.'

'I will certainly go to his home'. 

He then instructed his ministers, 'Build a big house for him that befits my visit. Ensure the road to his village is great so that we enjoy the trip. Make wedding arrangements for him and my daughter as I can only go to royal homes and not any ordinary persons home.'

'In asking for ME, he has got everything that his friends asked for. He has a great home, he has great roads to his village, and he also has a lovely capable wife.'

Dear Friends,

If I may give a twist to this story, if we may look at this story from another angle, its relevance to our lives will be pronounced.

Imagine, the King in the story is a metaphor for the 'Creator'. The friends in this story are metaphors for 'Devotees'.

The first three devotees asked FROM the creator. The fourth friend asked FOR the creator.

In our prayers, do we ask FROM god or do we ask FOR god?

What we ask for, creates the stories of our life.

If we are like the first three friends, we ask FROM god. If we are as intelligent as the fourth friend, we will ask FOR god.

In the epic mythology Mahabharata, Duryodhana asks FROM Krishna and loses the battle. Arjuna asks FOR Krishna and wins the battle.

Don't ask anymore FROM God, ask FOR god. Are you ready?

Source : Life School Message (LSM)