Data Converter from Tally 5.4 to 6.3 or 9
The migration of data from Tally 5.4/6.3 to Tally 9 is a two stage process. You will first need to re-write the data to Tally 7.2 compatible data by using Tally 7.2. Then migrate the Tally 7.2 data to Tally 9 compatible data using ‘Tally 7.2 to Tally 9 Data Migration’ utility.
Re-writing the data from Tally 5.4/6.3 to Tally 7.2
1. From Company Info screen of Tally 5.4/6.3 select ‘Backup’
2. In Select Companies to Backup screen select the company you want to migrate and create a backup of the company
3. Now run Tally 7.2, and select ‘Restore’ from the Company Info screen of Tally 7.2
4. Specify the location where the company backup is stored in the ‘Source’ field and restore the company
5. From the Company Info screen of Tally 7.2, select the company for which data has to be migrated. The system will prompt for a Rewrite. Select ‘Yes’ and proceed.
6. The data is now ready to be viewed in Tally 7.2.
a. If you do not have Tally 7.2, you can download Tally 7.2 installer for free from the Tally Solutions website. Install and use it in Educational mode
Now proceed to migrate data from Tally 7.2 to Tally 9, as mentioned below:
7. Install Tally 9
8. Now run ‘TallyMigrateData’ utility from Start > Programs > Tally 9 > TallymigrateData
Note: You can also run the migration utility by double clicking tally72migrate.exe file located in the folder where Tally 9 is installed.
9. The utility will launch Tally Data Migration Tool and Tally 9
10. Select ‘Migrate Data’ in the Migration Company screen
11. Specify the directory where Tally 7.2 data is located in the ‘Directory’ field
12. Select the company from the List of Companies
13. Data Migration utility loads the data of selected company and asks for confirmation
14. Select ‘Yes’ and start the migration of selected company
15. The status of migration from Tally 7.2 to Tally9 is shown in the Migration Messages Pane
16. When the migration is complete, it displays an information pop-up, “Migration Completed, Check Statistics (press any key)”
17. On pressing any key ‘Congratulation’ message appears confirming the completion of the migration of the data
Note: If any error occurs during migration, the error details are logged in ‘migration.err’ file, which is automatically generated and saved in the folder where Tally 9 is installed.
18. The migrated company is by default saved in the Tally 7.2 data folder. The migrated data is prefixed with a ‘0’ and appears as a 5 digit number. For example, if the company folder number, before migration was ‘0099’, after migration it would be ‘00099’.
19. Now your migrated data is ready for use in Tally 9