Please Wait ..

Sign-in to your account

Username:
Password:

Remember Me

Forgot your password?

Sign-up now

Join CAclubindia.com and Share your Knowledge. Registered members get a chance to interact at Forum, Ask Query, Comment etc.

Discussion > Accounts > A/c entries >

closing stock in trial balance

Pages : 1 2

Manager-Finance and Accounts

[ Scorecard : 67]
Posted On 15 January 2010 at 13:51 Report Abuse

Hi all,

How do we show closing stock in trial balance?

pls suggest...

Total thanks : 1 times

Online classes for CA CS CMA

Vivek
Finally passed CA Final...!!!!!

[ Scorecard : 1092]
Posted On 16 January 2010 at 18:53

Simple yar.... Credit closing stock A/c & debit Stock in trade A/c. Closing stock is nominal account & create it under incomes head.... Stock in trade in real account & create it under asset head.... !!

saranraj
CA FINAL

[ Scorecard : 396]
Posted On 19 January 2010 at 12:27

Originally posted by : Vivek
Simple yar.... Credit closing stock A/c & debit Stock in trade A/c. Closing stock is nominal account & create it under incomes head.... Stock in trade in real account & create it under asset head.... !!

Mr. Vivek can u pls explain me how come closing stock is treated as nominal account?

And what is the difference betweeen Closing stock and Stock in trade?

Vivek
Finally passed CA Final...!!!!!

[ Scorecard : 1092]
Posted On 19 January 2010 at 14:54

Hi Saran, Your question i can understand... Closing stock is an asset... Then how come it can come to Nominal account... But the problem is sales tax authorities always insist to show closing stock in trial balance... How to bring it to trail balance...? Only the above option is left.... right...? Even if you explain them 1000 times that closing stock wont come to TB, they wont understand it.... So, we have suggested this to our client....  Do you have any other option in such situation...?

Any how i appreciated your comment.. Thank you..

kushal

[ Scorecard : 88]
Posted On 20 January 2010 at 17:53

generally closing stock does not appear in the Trial Balance BECAUSE seperate account for stock is not opened in general ledger. closing stock represents the balance of goods unsold, out of opening stock and purchases.

The closing stock appears in the trial balance only when it is adjusted against PURCHAES by the entry:-

Closing Stock A/c                                       .........Dr

To Purchases A/c

I have taken all this from book Hanif & Mukherjee. And I agree with this view only

Computationaly there is nothing wrong in treatement suggested by Vivek but CONCEPTUALLY it is nothing but DISASTER. Remember we are studying accounting and not arithmetic the ultimate goal is not just finding right amount but along with finding right amount we have to adhere to the accounting concepts, principles, conventions too.

Total thanks : 1 times

saranraj
CA FINAL

[ Scorecard : 396]
Posted On 20 January 2010 at 22:21

Agree 100% with kushal

triumph-CMA
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 497]
Posted On 21 January 2010 at 11:24

triumph-CMA
Chartered Accountant

[ Scorecard : 497]
Posted On 21 January 2010 at 11:30

You can not change the nature of any account according to your convenience. Please do respect the concepts.

When closing stock is shown in the trial balance, then this is due to an adjustment made in the books and by reason of this adjustment closing stock does not appear in the Income statement.

By this adjustment we get the cost of goods sold which is shown in the debit side of the Income Statement.

This Item substitutes

1.Opening Stock;

2. Purchases; and

3. Closing Stock from the Income Statement.

kushal

[ Scorecard : 88]
Posted On 21 January 2010 at 13:54

I agree with sir.  He made the concept crystal clear

Thanks A lot sir

samip karpe
accounts assistance

[ Scorecard : 152]
Posted On 27 January 2010 at 14:39

Hi Vivek, Thanks. nice explaination 

There are 12 Replies to this message

Related Files