Avail 50% discount on All CS & CMA subjects for Dec batch . Use coupon code Dec14

×
Home > Experts > Income Tax > Taxability of awards and rewards

Taxability of awards and rewards (Income Tax)

What is the difference between awards and Rewards. How awards and rewards are taxable under the Indian Income Tax Act.

Preety Parik

Sir, I do not have the expertise to answer the querry of an expert. I can only share my opinion:-
1. Award is given as token of appreciation to a person's achievement in a particular field. It has nexus between skills of a person and achievement. Reward is for a contribution made by a person for a return. Compensation given can also be reward.
2. A Person receives awards for the Best Actor - award- appreciation of his skills and achievement in the field.
3. money received from Police for catching a robber- reward
4. Prize amount received in competitions -not an award.

Prachi Agarwal

Recognition and not monetary payment is the soul of an award. It needs to be renowned.For eg. Ashok Chakra, Gallantary Award etc., whereas prize amount is more important (rather than the nomenclature) in case of reward.
In my view award/reward is taxable as income from other sources under the Income Tax Act.
However following is the exemption u/s 10(17A):
In case of award
Any award instituted in public interest by CG/SG or by any other body and approved by C.G in this behalf
In case of reward
Rewards by CG/SG for such purposes as approved by CG in this behalf.

CG Central Government
SG State Government

http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DitTaxmann/IncomeTaxActs/2009ITAct/sec_010%2817A%29.htm

The above link shall help you to locate exempted awards.