Avail 50% discount on all online CA classes for Nov Exam(access till Nov 20th). Use coupon code NOV15

Home > Experts > Income Tax > Registration for profession tax

Registration for profession tax (Income Tax)

10 July 2012

Dear Expert,

I have formed a private limited company. Could you please guide me as to whether a private limited company is required to register for professional tax. If yes, kindly let me know the registration process for the same.

Jinesh Bhagdev

10 July 2012

Yes, a private limited company is required to get two profession tax numbers. first one is Professional Tax Registration Certificate (PTRC) and Professional Tax Enrollment Certificate (PTEC)

PRTC gives the power to the company to deduct profession tax from salary of the employees.

PTEC is the corporate liability of the company registered in the state of Maharashtra.

Also note that all the directors of the company have to take their own individual PTEC on personal liability basis @ 2500 compulsorily.

Process for Registration and required documents:

1. Fill the online application Form
2. Company Charter Documents (MOA & AOA)
3. Place of Business Proof with ownership details
4. Place of Residence of all the Directors with ownership proof
5. 2 Photograph of all the Directors
6. PAN of Business and all the Directors
7. Cancelled Cheque from Company's Current Account and Director's Savings / Current Account
8. Shop & Establishment Certificate

All this documents are required to be submitted in physical to the Allotted Officer of the Professional Tax

10 July 2012

thanks for the details. Could you let me know the website wherein i can fill the online form. Also can you guide me as to where can i find all the requirements pertaining to profession tax?

Jinesh Bhagdev

10 July 2012

10 July 2012

So as per your response if in a pvt ltd company, there are 2 directors, then the following registration needs to be done:

1. PRTC - for deducting PT from the salary of the employees of the company

2. PTEC - for paying PT on the company.

3. PTEC for each of the 2 directors for payment of their PT. However, in this case, who is liable to pay the PT for directors? Is it the company or the directors themselves are responsible for payment of PT to the govt?

Kindly confirm

Jinesh Bhagdev

10 July 2012

Directors themself will be required to pay PT. Its personal liability of director for doing profession activities in the state of Maharashtra