Home > Experts > Income Tax > Filing mother's it return as "legal heir" after her death

Filing mother's it return as "legal heir" after her death (Income Tax)

This query is : Open

27 March 2014

Dear Sirs,

My mother expired a month ago and I have to file her Income Tax Return for FY 2013-14 (AY 2014-15). However, for filing the Return, I must be registered as a legal heir on the Income Tax Website.

To register as legal heir, the main document required is a "Legal Heir Certificate". I need a "Legal Heir Certificate" only for filing of Income Tax Return. Kindly guide me as to the easiest procedure to obtain this legal heir certificate in Mumbai.

Secondly, we are 4 children and the other 3 do not have any objection to my obtaining the said certificate.

Your guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.